How To Use the JVC VHS Video Tape Editing System
- The JVC video editing system is located in Room 10 MechE, center section. For access, sign out a key from Menet, Room 155 MechE. The JVC system is excellent for snipping segments of video placed on various parts of an original tape and using them to c
reate a new tape with just the content and order you want. The system is for cutting and splicing; it will not allow you to do dissolves, titling or other advanced video processing. Please read through all of the directions and the Notes section before st
- Turn on both decks and both monitors.
- Put play tape in left deck (BR-S500U), record tape in right deck
- Use buttons on right side of Editing Control Unit (RM-G800U) to
- PLAYER and RECORD buttons determine which deck is being controlled by
the rest of the buttons.
- STILL is tape pause.
- Press SHIFT (on the far left) and STILL together to activate STOP.
- Use the shuttle (outer ring of the dial) and jog (inner dial) for
Preparing a Blank Tape
- Brand new tapes must have control (CTL) signals recorded on the first
25 seconds. Here's how to do it.
- Put Player tape in STOP mode.
- Rewind Recorder tape to beginning.
- Push RECORD and PLAY together on Recorder tape.
- Record for 25 seconds then press STILL.
- Rewind Recorder tape.
Editing a Tape
- Press ASSEM (the orange button).
- Set the "edit-in" point on the player tape (that is, the place where
recording is to begin):
- Select PLAYER.
- Using the shuttle and jog controls, locate the edit-in point.
- Put player tape in STILL mode.
- Press IN and ENTRY together.
- Set the "edit-out" point (where the edit segment ends):
- Locate the edit-out point on the Player tape using shuttle and jog.
- Put tape in STILL mode.
- Press OUT and ENTRY.
- Set the edit-in point on the recording tape, that is the point on the
recording tape where you want the copied material to begin:
- Select RECORDER.
- L ocate the place on the recording tape where you want the segment to
start. (NOTE: You must set the first edit-in point on the recording tape
at least 6 seconds in from the beginning of the tape to allow for roll time.)
- Push IN and ENTRY
- (Optional) Confirm location of in and out edit points by
pushing IN or OUT. Point data will appear on edit unit display for either
Player or Recorder, whichever is selected. Pushing IN and OUT together
will show the duration of the segment.
- (Optional) Preview your edit:
- Player and recorder in STILL mode.
- Press PREVIEW
- Watch your edit on the recording VCR monitor.
- To quit PREVIEW early, press ALL STOP.
- If edits are wrong, reset edit-in and/or edit-out points.
- Execute the edit:
- Put Player and Recorder in STILL mode.
- Press AUTO EDIT.
- To abort edit, press ALL STOP.
- (Optional) Review your edit:
- Press REVIEW.
- To record the next segment, go back to Step 2.
- Pay attention to whether you have the correct deck (PLAYER or
RECORDER) selected for whatever operation you are trying to perform.
- To record a brief section of blank tape between segments:
- Player in STOP mode (press SHIFT and STILL together).
- Select RECORDER.
- Locate place on Recorder tape where blank section is to begin.
- Press REC and PLAY together.
- Press STILL when you have enough.
- You can go to the last edit-in point on either tape by selecting the
tape, then pressing IN and GOTO together. Likewise for the edit-out point.
- Recording VCR will record about 2 seconds past the desired edit-out
point, but generally will rewind to the exact point so that you can set
the exact next edit-in point. You may want to record a blank section at
the end of the last segment if you don'
t want the extra two seconds to show.
- It's useful to keep track of edit-in and edit-out points on a piece
- Except for COUNTER RESET, leave the other buttons on the console alone.
- Need more detailed directions? Read the JVC instruction manuals.
Page maintained by email@example.com
Last modified: Oct 23, 1997